Potassium Metabisulphite (KMS Food preservative)(E224)
Potassium metabisulfite is a food preservative that protects against germs while preserving the natural color of food. Using potassium powder mixture in food items allows for a significant reduction in sodium content. It is extensively used in the manufacture of wine, cider, juice, and beer.
INCI Name- Potassium metabisulfite
Molecular Formulae- K2S2O5
Alternative Names- Potassium Pyrosulfite
Purity of the ingredients- 99%
Country of Origin- India
BENEFITS AND APPLICATIONS-
- Potassium metabisulfite is used as a preservative in things like lemon juice and pickles.
- It is a potent antioxidant, protecting both the color and delicate flavors of the food.
- It is used in the brewing industry to inhibit the growth of wild bacteria and fungi.
- It neutralizes monochloramine from tap water.
- It is used as a bleaching agent in many food products.
HOW IT WORKS-
- It works as a preservative, antioxidant, and bleaching agent, extending the shelf life of food.
- It works as an antioxidant and a chemical sterilant.
CONCENTRATION AND SOLUBILITY-
- It is recommended that it should be used at a concentration of 10%.
- It is soluble in water and insoluble in alcohol.
HOW TO USE-
- It is manufactured by combining Sulphur dioxide and potassium carbonate at temperatures ranging from 50°C to 80°C.
- Cool the reaction mixture.
- It will settle down into a colorless or white crystalline powder/granular after some time.