Cyclopentasiloxane D5/ Cyclomethicone 5
This water-like liquid is synthetically manufactured but is derived from naturally occurring oxygen and silicones. It encompasses within itself the family of cyclic dimethyl siloxanes.
Molecular formula- C10H30O5Si5
Alternate names-Cyclopolydimethylsiloxane, Dimethylcyclopolysiloxane, Polydimethyl siloxy cyclics.
BENEFITS AND USES-
- It is preferred for its conditioning, viscosity controlling, and water-repelling properties. It is an excellent solvent and can be found in countless products.
- It is documented to be an anti-static agent, non-greasy, non-sticky, and is acclaimed for giving a slippery feel and a dry non-cooling sensation on evaporation.
- It evaporates quickly and does not leave behind any residue. This commands application in formulating deodorants and antiperspirants.
- It makes spreading products a breeze because of its unique fluidity.
- It provides stability to the formulation and prevents it from splitting.
- It is used to deposit active ingredients on the skin and hair, thereby enhancing the efficacy of the formulation.
- It is used in serums, lotions, hair sprays, face and body mists, sunscreens, non-sticky oils, etc.
HOW IT WORKS-
- It works by carrying the key ingredients of a formulation into the skin and hair for better absorption.
- Lacking penetrative powers, it simply forms a layer over the skin.
- It makes the surface slippery and then evaporates owing to its volatility.
CONCENTRATION AND SOLUBILITY-
- It is insoluble in water and is soluble in alcohols, silicones, and solvents.
- It is suggested that its concentration be kept between 3%-10% for deodorants and skin care products, though it can be increased up to 20%.
HOW TO USE-
- Heat oil phase up to 80o
- Add it to the heated phase.
- Cover the vessel to prevent loss of ingredients due to evaporation.
- Wait until it dissolves and proceed with emulsification.
Cyclomethicone D5 /Cyclopentasiloxane/Cyclopentasilicon