Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda/Meetha Soda)
Sodium bicarbonate, often known as baking soda, is a white basic mineral powder that is commonly used as a food additive. It is widely used in the bakery and confectionery industries.
INCI Name- Sodium bicarbonate
Molecular Formulae- NaHCO3
Alternative Names- Baking soda
Purity of the ingredients- 99%
Country of Origin- India
BENEFITS AND APPLICATIONS-
- When sodium bicarbonate combines with acid, carbon dioxide is generated, causing the batter to expand and giving cakes, quick bread, soda bread, and other baked and fried items their distinctive texture and grain.
- It is used in the production of effervescent beverages, producing CO2 as gas bubbles.
- It reduces oral bacteria levels and increases saliva pH levels for bacterial growth inhibition.
- It's used to whiten your teeth.
- Using it daily increases your sodium intake for the day.
HOW IT WORKS
- It works as a leavening ingredient in baking recipes. It gives a fluffy texture to meals like bread, cakes, muffins, and cookies.
- It works as dirt and grime removed from fresh fruits and vegetables by scrubbing.
CONCENTRATION AND SOLUBILITY-
- It is recommended that it should be used at a concentration of 5%.
- It is soluble in water and insoluble in oil.
HOW TO USE-
- In a large mixing bowl, combine it with all the other ingredients in the food preparation.
- Add water as needed to the ingredients to form thick dough.
- Set it aside for 2-3 hours to ferment.