PEG 40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil
Polyoxyl Hydrogenated Castor Oil
They are non-ionic solublizers and emulsifying agents obtained by reacting hydrogenated castor oil with ethylene oxide. They consist hydrophobic and hydrophilic part. They are almost testless and odourless.
They are used as solublizer for fat soluble vitamins, perfumes,essential oils and other hydrophobic pharmaceuticals. They have ability to solublize or emulsify oil soluble ingredients and convert them into clear transparent solution or stable emulsion respectively.lt improves the solubilify of poorly soluble drugs (BCS class II and class IV).
- It improves water solubility of major water insoluble products. It is compatible with most of all ingredients. It helps to solubilize different pharmaceutical active ingredients like Acetaminophen, Bromhexidine HCL, Dextromethorphan HBr, Povidone iodine, Loxapine Succinate, Vitamins like vitamins like vitamin A palmitate, vitamin D, Vitamin E acetate etc. It is also used as solubilizer and stabilizer for oils and perfume in cosmetic industries.
- It is generally used between 3.0% to 5.0% w/w of API to improve dissolution of poorly soluble active ingredients like Cefuroxime Axetil, Cefpodoxime proxetil, Albendazole etc. It should be mixed with API with or without heating and then dissolved in vehicle (Aqueous / Non Aqueous ).
- It is excellent versatile nonionic emulsifying agent. It emulsifies major hydrophobic substances like fatty acids, fatty alcohols, mineral oil etc. it is suitable to obtain O/W cream and lotions, also can be used as stabilizer for skin care. It has an excellent emulsify ability, suitable for emulsification of mineral oil, natural oil etc. it can obtain a steady system when used alone.
- It improves moisturizing effect and soft feeling.
- It solubilizes insoluble oily substances in aqueous system and hence it improves transparency and shining. In cosmetic formulation, it impacts elegance appearance of products such as shaving gel, hair styling gel, hand wash gel etc. In pharmaceutical syrup formulations, it improves transparency.
- It retards volatilities of solvents. It can be used for highly volatile products like after shaving lotion, perfumes etc. to retain its effect for longer period.
- It improves film forming capacity and flow properties. It is preferred in cream, lotion, lipstick etc. to improve film forming capacity.
- It masks unpleasant taste and odour of typical formulations like pharmaceutical syrup containing alcohols and suspension like artemether and lumefantrine suspension.
- It reduces adhesion and chipping properties of oils. It gives smooth feeling on application like in all pharmaceuticals and cosmetic ( creams, and lotions, hair oil etc. ) formulations.
- It improves solubility of the propellant in aerosol in aqueous phase.