It is a non-ionic plant derived ,biodegradable surfactant that carries the goodness of coconuts and cornstarch from which it is extracted by esterification. It is used both as an emollient and as a surfactant by various industries.
INCL name- Decyl D-Glucoside
Molecular formula- C18H32O6
Country of Origin - India
Percentage of Active Surfactant Matter - 50%
BENEFITS AND USES-
- It is one of the most sought-after ingredients to be put to use in formulating anti-dandruff shampoos, eczema creams, moisturizers, mild shampoos, etc.
- Its influence is ubiquitous primarily because it forms a stable foam, is a humectant, and is particularly gentle to be used in any personal care products.
- It has garnered attention in recent times for its use in fruit and vegetable washes due to its mild cleansing action.
- It also forms the base of most of the makeup removers or micellar waters.
- Volumes of studies have illuminated that it is safe for baby and pet products as well.
HOW IT WORKS-
- It lowers the surface tension of products it is added to.
- This helps them remove dirt and oils more effectively while stabilizing oil and water mixtures.
CONCENTRATION AND SOLUBILITY-
- It is soluble in water and insoluble in oils.
- For no-rinse products, the recommended concentration is 3%-5%
- In rinse-off products, the highest concentration suggested for use is 33%.
HOW TO USE-
- Add this ingredient to the surfactant phase.
- Keep stirring it continuously until it completely dissolves.
- Add acids of choice to neutralize pH.