Benzophenone 3 SPF (Oxybenzone)
Benzophenone-3 (BP-3) is a molecule that occurs naturally in several blooming plants. The sun's damaging ultraviolet (UV) rays are absorbed and scattered by BP-3. As a result, it is manufactured for use as sunscreen in lotions, conditioners, and cosmetics. BP-3 is also used in plastic items to block and prevent UV radiation from affecting the plastic and its contents.
INCI Name- Benzophenone-3
Molecular Formulae- C14H12O3
Alternative Names- Oxybenzone
Purity of the Ingredients- 99%
Country of Origin- India
BENEFITS AND APPLICATIONS-
- As a sunscreen, it offers broad-spectrum UV protection, including UVB and short-wave UVA radiation.
- It exhibits an absorption profile extending from 270 to 350 nm as a photoprotective agent, with absorption peaks at 288 and 350 nm.
- It is now one of the most extensively utilized organic UVA filters in sunscreens.
- BP3 is a UV light absorber and stabilizer that is used in polymers. It is also present in nail polishes in amounts of up to 1%.
- It can also be used to stabilize synthetic resins as a photo stabilizer.
- Benzophenones are widely used as photo-initiators to activate a chemical that dries ink faster and can leach from food packaging.
HOW IT WORKS-
- It works by forming a protective layer on the top of the skin to protect it from harmful sun rays.
- The protective layer works by absorbing the harmful UV-A and UV-B rays and then scattering them.
CONCENTRATION AND SOLUBILITY-
- It is recommended that it should be used at a concentration of 1–10%.
- It is insoluble in water but soluble in dilute acids and bases.
HOW TO USE-
- Prepare the oil and water phases of your formulation separately.
- Heat the oil and water phase using a double boiler.
- Add our Benzophenone to the oil phase, accompanied by constant stirring.
- Add a few drops of any moisturizing oil of your choice. We recommend using our coconut oil or almond oil for the best results.
- Blend both the phases together using a mini-mixer or a large mixing brush.